If you’re planning on visiting Paris and its surrounding cities, be sure to include Claude Monet’s house and gardens in Giverny on your list! Visiting the house and gardens just outside of Paris will allow you to immerse yourself within the artistic space of 19th century master Claude Monet for a day. Scroll down to learn the logistics about traveling to Giverny from Paris…
PARIS TO GIVERNY BY CAR
Driving to Giverny from Paris takes about 1 hour and 20 minutes, and 1 hour and 10 minutes drive time from CDG to Giverny. From the city, you can easily rent a car and take the Autoroute Normandie and exit for Vernon. After entering the city of Vernon, you must follow the signs to Giverny and the Claude Monet Foundation, about a 15 minute drive from the city of Vernon. It’s so easy that you can do a Paris to Giverny day trip!
TOURS BY COACH
Check out these tour companies that offer day trips from Paris to Giverny should you desire such a leisurely journey. These excursions range from 100-200€.
PARIS TO GIVERNY BY TRAIN
A very simple way to arrive in Giverny and spend the day at the Claude Monet Foundation is to take the train from Paris Gare Saint-Lazare to Vernon, taking only 40 minutes travel time. Once arriving in Vernon you can then take a shuttle bus for €8 round-trip to Claude Monet’s house and gardens, or a taxi which will cost you about €20 each way. The shuttle bus takes only 5 more minutes than the taxi ride, which will take 20 minutes.
- Travel time: 40 minutes train ride + 25 minutes shuttle service
- Shuttle bus tickets: €8 round-trip
Buy your train tickets ahead of time online
CLAUDE MONET FOUNDATION
Especially when you come in springtime, prepare yourself to be amazed at how lush and colorful the gardens of Monet are! The visit starts from the gardens, then inside the house, and you can end it on a high note by taking pictures on the Japanese-style bridges that go over the pond.
- Tickets: €9.50 for adults, €5.50 for children and students, free for children below 7
- Open every day from 23th of March to the 1st of November from 9.30 a.m. till 6 p.m. – last admission 5.30 p.m.
- You can also purchase combined tickets with other museums. See here for more info.
MUSÉE DES IMPRESSIONNISMES GIVERNY
Musée des Impressionnismes is another worthwhile site to visit while in Giverny. This museum features some of the best works of Impressionist art and as well as some photographs. If you’re looking for a full day trip in Giverny, don’t miss out on this impressive museum! And if you visit on the first Sunday of the month, you can enter for free!
- Tickets: €7.50 for adults, €5 for students, €3.50 for children under 7, free for children 7 and younger
- Open from March 22 – July 24, 2019; 10 am-6 pm
- Open again from July 27 – November 11; 10 am – 6 pm